Originally built in 1830, CML’s head offices in Leeds were formerly the Coach House and Stable Block to the Mansion House built for Leeds industrialist and mill owner John Hives, designed by architect John Clark. The site went on to be used as a military hospital specialising in the treatment of soldiers injured during World War 1. After World War 2 the site passed into NHS ownership, eventually becoming vacant in the early 1990’s. CML first acquired the Grade 2 listed site in 2001, at which point the site needed extensive repairs to sympathetically restore the late Georgian designed building. After nearly 20 years serving as our head office facility, we are once again pouring a great amount of care and attention to detail into developing the adjoining brick warehouse building (unlisted), to provide additional facilities for our growing business. The challenge of successfully integrating a modern new build extension with a 200 year old listed building is a difficult one, but we have every confidence the end result will do the site justice.
Last month saw the completion of the first phase of the project, with the existing Stables block fully refurbished ready for occupation. However with the ongoing covid restrictions we’re doing everything we can to stay away from our offices at the moment, but we’re very much looking forward to welcoming our colleagues and clients through the doors again when it’s safe to do so.